Sunday, June 2, 2013

Beautiful Creatures - By Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


I have just started a book Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I have actually been wanting to read this book for awhile. I have seen the middle school kids with the series of these books and it peaked my interest. Some of the best books I have read in the past few years have been from recommendations from my middle school kids. Once I found out Beautiful Creatures was going to be turned into a movie it made me even more interested. I love to read books that they turn into movies. Nine times out of ten the books are so much better than the book. I was told this book was a twist of Twilight series and the HBO series True Blood. I LOVE both of these!

The books starts out in Gatilin in South Carolina. A boy Ethan Wate is bored in his small town and can't wait to leave. He has dreams of a girl falling, and Ethan can't seem to save her. Then a new girl comes to town that he can't seem to get off his mind. Lena Duchannes is shy and reluctant and Ethan struggles to get to know her. Ethan has a series of flashbacks to a civil-war era, triggered from a cursed locket. Basically telling the story of Ethan's great-great-great-great uncle and Genevieve Duchannes, Lena's great-great-great-great-grandmother. Genevieve, the old grandmother, decides to use magic from The Book of Moons to help her boyfriend and it goes all wrong and Genevieve's future family is cursed forever.

After their flashback experience, Lena tells Ethan that she's a spell-caster. She has all sorts of magical powers, some she can control more than others. She can manipulate the weather and surge electricity.  Lena's family can also do magical things, from shape-shifting to healing, teleporting to telekinesis.  Lena is afraid of her own sixteenth birthday, which is coming up super fast. Thanks to Genevieve, when a Duchannes turns sixteen, she is Claimed. That means that The Book of Moons chooses whether she will be Light or Dark. If she goes Dark, she will lose everything she knows.

That is all I know so far. Pretty good book so far. The cool thing about this book is that it is narrated from the point of view of a boy and creates an entirely new type of teen romance hero. I really enjoy teen books because of books like Twilight, The Hunger Games, Insurgent are quick easy reads.

I was crazy busy last week so I had to do all my reading on Friday night. After the kids go to bed is my only time I can think let alone read a book I want to read. Normally if a book has not snagged me by this point I am out but I really like this one. I think I will continue.

Friday, May 31st 9:00pm-11:45.

No comments: